Product Reviews

My Smart Parka Return Experience

Firstly, I really didn’t expect my post on my stupid buy to receive so many comments and interactions. For those who feel the way I do, sorry to hear and I am glad to know that we are in this together and we are not alone! Also, if you are so in love with your smart parka, GOOD FOR YOU. This is my experience. It’s unfortunate for me so stop telling me how great the parka is, how awesome the company is… It’s either you are North Aware trying to validate yourself or you are just an oblivious buyer that isn’t even making us customers who have experienced otherwise feel better. Ya ya ya. Stop reading my blog if you ain’t happy yo.

K let me rant here:
Sometimes when you are so mad, I think all you want is for people to understand / listen to you. Not to tell you how wrong you are and how you shouldn’t feel that way. I’ve already felt the way I feel right now, what makes you think I’d feel differently when you insist on your views? Are you Ryan Reynolds?

So anyway, here’s my experience returning the Smart Parka to North Aware. (Wtf lol. really feel like a hypocrite as I type the jacket name. The Parka is not smart at all. )

After receiving my jacket on Dec 29th 2016, I immediately emailed North Aware for my refund. According to them, in order to get a refund, I’d have to send them an email with the order id blabla.

I immediately emailed them for a refund because I am pretty kiasu (Singlish  for hate to lose) and was afraid they are going to tell me that it is too late to get a refund and all that.

December 29, 2016

A few days passed and I was getting anxious. I did not want to miss my return deadline and have them tell me that my jacket is no longer refundable – it’d be super wtf! Furthermore, they actually responded to my friend who requested for a refund a few days later than me. I was so mad.

So furious me googled Consumer Complaint Letter and this came out: https://www.ontario.ca/page/filing-consumer-complaint

January 6, 2016

I sent a consumer complaint letter “threatening” to report if they do not respond to me.

I also forwarded the confirmation email my friend received from them so they know how unfair it was that they chose to ignore MY EMAIL and respond to hers.

I am like this super annoying woman but can’t help it and oh, I am not sorry.

After trying to get a refund for almost a week, I finally resorted to Facebook Messenger. Bloody hell. Feeling furious just thinking about it.

Obviously I know you have weekends off but WHY COULDN’T YOU RESPOND TO ME on weekdays? Do you really think I like bugging you like this, North Aware?

Wtf right?My email or emailS, North Aware? Lost in all of other busy emails? So what now. My email isn’t important? Do you have like Warren Buffet or Bill Gates to attend to? What makes other customers much more worthy of your time than I am?  Also my coat obviously has been delivered else why would I be requesting for a refund….You should be going through your inbox and check before asking me QUESTIONS LIKE THAT PLS.

Alright?

Alright?

Alright?!

Tell me how do you not get mad? It was more than just providing my order ID plus list of items I have bought. I had to turn to Facebook Messenger, send bloody hell umpteen number of emails and even threaten to lodge a consumer complaint report? Damn you, North Aware!

Oh also, shipping fee from Vancouver (tracking included) cost me $27.70. I know it’s much more if you are to ship from US or other countries – sorry to hear.

On Jan 24, I learnt that my jacket has been delivered and received.

I should have taken a screenshot of that as evidence but never thought that I’d be writing an update on my stupid buy…I also never thought that they’d say my tracking number isn’t working and create such a havoc.

Insane right.

How many times do I have to provide my tracking number to them?

I did it via email once and another time on Facebook…. looks like that ain’t enough…

Honestly, I was so worried when they said my tracking number did not work. I remember it worked because that’s how I learnt the package has been delivered. I am guessing Canada Post might have removed the tracking number 10 days upon delivery.

Thank goodness I did a smart thing and took a picture of my receipt.

Also sent them a screenshot of the email I sent after mailing the jacket…

I had to tell them that I WILL bring this to court (last resort) should they not process my refund before they could assure me that I’d get my money back. What.a.joke.

My tracking number did not work now because you should have checked it the week before not 5 days upon receipt @#@#@!#!#@!!!!

Feb 10, 2017

Finally received my refund but lost $20 for handling fee.

The $20 handling fee is an utter bullshit because I had to go through so much trouble getting a refund – you might as well pay me to handle my own refund – and it seems to me you are doing your best not to return my money. I even had to pay to ship the jacket back which means I lost $60 + precious time + energy + brain power getting to you and ensuring I get my remaining money back.

To those who are trying to return their jacket, here are a few tips:

• Message them constantly as much as you can especially on Facebook.

• Take pictures of your receipt

• Track your package and take a screenshot when you learn they’ve received it. This way you have evidence ready just in case they tell you your package is missing or if they have any other ridiculous excuses

• Worse come to worse, really, lodge a complaint.

Oh fyi

Wth right? What’s the use of us buying it way before production when the price we get is close to the sale price? Black Friday / Boxing Day would be a much better excuse for heavy discount but hey no, Valentine’s Day it is.

What an experience.

Hopefully there isn’t a second time else I’d be banging my head against the wall.

Share on
Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

14 Comments

• Reply THINK SPACE RIDES - THINK SPACE RIDES - North Aware Smart Parka Review – My Not So Smart Buy

[…] here to read my refund […]

February 22, 2017 at 5:25 am
    • Reply Catalina

I’m going through the same stupid b.s with them. Every time I inquire about my refund there is someone different reassuring me “everything possible is being done blablablabla” i processed my return on January 11th, it’s almost March and nothing. I have been bugging every way possible to the point they have blocked me from commenting on their Facebook page. Not sure if I should bring this matter to the police (I mean if they help with this type of scam) or how can I file before the court. I work so hard for my money, I don’t even have time to waste my time trying to figure this out. Can someone please let me know who are the right authorities to bring this matter to?

February 26, 2017 at 9:17 am
      • Reply Hardeep

Contact your credit card fraud department and post about it publicly. That’s how I got my refund.

March 29, 2017 at 10:00 am
  • Reply Mary

This has been so cathartic to read. I am beyond words upset over my experience with them as well. My story is pretty much exactly the same as yours. I just today got an email saying that I would be refunded. After multiple email exchanges providing the tracking number, etc. We will see how long that takes to finally come through. And I had to pay over $40 to ship it back! So after all this I have essentially paid $40 for a huge pain in the a** and a migraine headache. I just want my money back and to be done. I guess that’s what I get for falling for an online sales scam. Who is the right person/entity to file a complaint with? I feel others should be warned.

March 6, 2017 at 9:10 pm
    • Reply Hardeep

March 29, 2017 at 10:01 am
  • Reply Minnie

I am at my wits ends trying to get my money back as well. I’ve contacted kickstarter and I am going to try contacting my bank to dispute the charges now a year after the fact

March 26, 2017 at 1:54 pm
  • Reply Alessandro

This company is an absolute scam and we are hundreds in the same situation.
    I am in the same situation as you and North Aware refuses to issue a refund for a coat that I never received after more than one year!!

If you haven’t done so yet, please join this facebook group and share your claim details as the other customers have done:

Once we have collected enough members and complaint details we will review appropriate steps to take.

Please also file a complaint at below link:

The more complaints we gather the more power we will habe in a combined action against North Aware.

March 28, 2017 at 6:21 am
    • Reply Kristen

The Facebook group is gone now 🙁 I wonder why…makes me nervous about actually getting my refund…

April 10, 2017 at 4:29 pm
    • Reply Celine

Hello,
      I am experiencing the same situation as you and I was wondering, have you received any updates? I also tried to access the facebook group but I believe it is no longer available.

April 17, 2017 at 11:13 pm
  • Reply Hardeep

Ok wow. I had the same experience, but they refunded my total of $320… So I’m confused why you didn’t get that refund…

March 29, 2017 at 9:59 am
  • Reply L

I emailed six times, left voicemails, and finally used Facebook messenger to get a hold of someone. I demanded that they provide me with a number to call and I ended up giving them my number and we scheduled a call for later that day. Over the phone I demanded that they refund me the full amount, none of this shipping and handling BS because I already had to pay to return it! They refunded me that day. I returned the coat a few days later and had to fork out $48 for it. Fast forward three weeks, the damn thing arrives on my doorstep saying it was refused by the recipient??! Wth?

April 3, 2017 at 7:17 am
  • Reply Heather

My experience has been exactly the same also. Only I bought 2 coats. I am a single mom of two kids and I purchased the coats as an alternative to buying something more expensive. It was a big deal for me to pay $600 upfront. But I believed in their product and I’ve been getting the run around since August. I didn’t receive my coat until January and then it was definitely not as promised. I even messaged the owner on LinkedIn and haven’t heard anything. I’m beyond frustrated.

April 4, 2017 at 1:47 pm
  • Reply Tiara

I am having the same issues!!! I emailed them and they provided the address for me to ship the coat to. I shipped the coat Feb. 13 and it arrived Feb. 17. Still no return processed and it’s April…I constantly get told to email different people, no one can help me. I am so frustrated.

April 10, 2017 at 6:32 pm
  • Reply Celine

Hi guys,

I am experiencing the same troubles, except when I emailed them recently, they told me they cannot process my return until October. For those of you who paid with mastercard, if you returned your item within 75 days, you can contact mastercard and they can pursue North Aware on your behalf, if you are passed that deadline, you and I are on the same boat. I emailed them and facebooked them once more time to let them know that if I do not receive a refund of my jackets (which were returned January 19th) by tonight, I will proceed with legal actions https://www.ontario.ca/page/consumer-complaints-and-enforcement . I advise you guys reach out to the company sooner rather than later.

Best of luck